Cat Rat Poisoning
Cat Rat Poisoning
Mice and rats are definitely a nuisance and many people use rat poison and other kill methods to rid their homes of the pests. The problems arise when you have other animals in the home such as cats that could potentially get into the poison or ingest a poisoned rodent. Here are a few things you should know about this issue and what to do if it happens to you.
There are several types of poison you can use to take care of rodents such as mice, rats or gophers. Included in this list are:
• Anti coagulants such as warfarin, fumarine and pindone
• Zinc phosphide
The effects of these poisons on your cat will depend a great deal on the age and overall health of the animal. For cats who suffer underlying liver issues, rat poison of any type can be quickly fatal. Of course, the type of poison ingested and other factors can play a role in the severity of the reaction as well.
Signs and Symptoms
It can sometimes be difficult to determine poisoning, as the symptoms are similar to many other ailments. First signs can include but are not limited to:
It is generally a combination of these symptoms that will tip you off to the seriousness of the problem. It is a good idea to keep a close eye on your cat anytime they exhibit any of these symptoms. If your cat does not show signs of improving quickly, you should call your veterinarian. There is no one test that will diagnose rat poisoning; however, your vet may want to run a series of blood tests and examinations.
The treatment for rat poison in cats will depend on the poison ingested and the amount of time that has elapsed. The sooner you seek treatment the better the prognosis will be, within hours if at all possible is the best-case scenario. The following are some of the possible treatments your vet may suggest:
• Induced vomiting
• Pumping the stomach
• Anti convulsants
• Kidney failure treatment
• Brain swell preventative medications
There is conflicting information on whether cats are adversely affected by rat poison. In most cases, a cat will not ingest anything that is harmful, which includes rodents that have ingested poison. However, cats are quite curious and have been known to ingest poisons. Convulsions, bleeding and vomiting are common symptoms in cats. There is a myth circulating that cat food prevents the absorption of poison, but this is a fallacy.
Rat poison is often a necessary evil; mice and rats carry diseases and are just a plain nuisance. If you know you are going to be treating your home with rodenticides, do everything you can to keep it out of range of your cats. If your cat does happen to get into the poison, contact your veterinarian immediately.