Dog Rat Poisoning
Dog Rat Poisoning
Mice and rats are definitely a nuisance and many people use rat poison and other killing methods to rid their homes of these pests. The problem arises, however, when there are other pets, such as dogs and cats that live in the home that could potentially get into the poison or ingest a poisoned rodent. Here are a few things you should know about this issue and what to do if it happens to you.
There are several types of poison you can use to take care of rodents such as mice, rats or gophers. Included in this list are:
• Anti coagulants such as warfarin, fumarine and pindone
• Zinc phosphide
The effects of these poisons on your dog will depend a great deal on the age and overall health of the animal. For dogs who suffer from underlying Dog Liver Disease and other liver issues, rat poison of any type can be quickly fatal. Of course, the type of poison ingested and other factors can play a role in the severity of the reaction as well.
Signs and Symptoms
It can sometimes be difficult to determine poisoning, as the symptoms are similar to many other ailments. First signs can include but are not limited to:
Convulsions, bleeding and vomiting are common symptoms in dogs. There is a myth circulating that dog food prevents the absorption of poison, this is a fallacy.
It is generally a combination of these symptoms that will tip you off to the seriousness of your dog’s condition. It is a good idea to keep a close eye on your dog anytime they exhibit any of these symptoms. If your dog does not show signs of improving quickly, you should call your veterinarian. There is no one test that will diagnose poisoning; however, your vet may want to run a series of blood tests and examinations.
The treatment plan for rat poison in dogs will depend on exactly what type of rat poison that your dog ingested, as well as how much time as elapsed before you are able to get your dog in to see an emergency veterinarian. The sooner you seek treatment the better the prognosis will be, within hours if at all possible is the best-case scenario. The following are some of the possible treatments your vet may suggest:
• Induced vomiting
• Pumping the stomach
• Anti convulsants
• Kidney failure treatment
• Brain swell preventative medications
Rat poison is often a necessary evil, mice and rats carry diseases and are just a plain nuisance. If you know you are going to be treating your home with rodenticides, do everything you can to keep it out of range of your dogs. If your dog does happen to get into the poison, contact your veterinarian immediately.