Valentines Day Dog Treats
Every Valentine’s day I make the following for Freedom, my black lab. Rather than treating him on special occasions with adult human treats, which we discourage for health and disciplinary reasons, I make a batch of these as a cute alternative. -Sheila
3/4 c hot red beat juice
1/2 c powdered skim milk
1/3 C margarine
3 C Flour, your choice IE: Rye, potato, whole wheat, white
1 C shredded cheese any type
¼ C dried chives
You can either buy unsalted natural red beat juice at a health food store or make you own the day before by boiling and simmering a pot of red beats for 40 minutes until you reach a bright red broth. The red color in the beats is what gives the recipe additional natural flavor as well as color the cookies.
1. In a large bowl pour beat juice over margarine.
2. Stir in powdered milk, salt, chives and egg.
3. Add flour 1/2 cup at a time mixing well after each addition.
4. Knead 3 to 4 minutes and roll into balls.
5. Roll each ball into flat circles and cut with a heart shape or any other cookie cutter.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes and serve when cooled.
If you want to give your pup an extra special treat you can spread peanut butter sandwiched between two cookies.